Wednesday, August 22, 2012

"How did you hear about us?": a tip

Lately I've been getting frustrated by the job search engines I use. Don't get me wrong, they're incredibly handy and organized. However, I'm looking for fairly specialized positions, and there aren't too many new opportunities where I'm looking. I log onto Idealist and see the same 18 jobs leering at me and, well...it's not pretty.

So I came up with a simple method of expanding the job pool by expanding my search engines. It's not foolproof, since it doesn't work when applying through an e-mail. But many sites with online applications can help you out by pointing you towards some new search engines. The process is simple:

1. Find a job that you're interested in and go to their website's application form. It doesn't really matter if you choose to apply fully or not (i.e. if you're grossly over/under-qualified), only that the job is in a field/location you're interested in.

2. On the application, find the "How did you hear about us?" question. There should be a drop-down list with lots of options, and hopefully some of those options should be job search engines that you haven't heard of.

3. Go to those new job search engines and get yourself a job!

Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment